Taylor & Kendall take Thailand

Our journey to Thailand began early Tuesday morning when we left Kendall’s apartment at 3:00am, making our way to the Atlanta airport. We traveled with Spirit Airlines for our flight from Atlanta to Chicago. Spirit is a super affordable airline, however the company adds prices to everything such as bags (carry-on and checked), printing your boarding pass upon arrival (make sure you do that the night before), and having smaller seats that don’t recline in attempt to carry more passengers. All of this cost cutting allows them to offer airfare at a reasonable price. In order to keep our flight cost low, we decided to purchase one 40lb checked bag. We took a massive duffle bag and shoved both of our backpacks into it for the price of one checked bag. Score!

Hi Chicago!

After a short flight to Chicago, we landed, grabbed our bag, and headed towards the international terminal…because we were were flying to Tokyo…where else would we go? Wrong! United Airlines was operating our flight and apparently they have their own terminal, so we got back on the airport train and went to terminal 1. Thankfully, we weren’t pressed for time because I structured our flight from Atlanta to be early enough to give us leeway. After making our way to our gate, we decided to grab lunch at Chilis to savor our last bites of American food.


You’ll notice in the pictures below that our flight to Tokyo was smooth because I slept well over half the flight (perks to that early start we had). In the hours I was awake, I was able to watch two movies, eat an awesome pasta meal, and read. Kendall was less fortunate than me due to him not being able to sleep at all, picking the dish that wasn’t as good, and having the beverage cart ram his leg. So he felt that entire 13+ hour flight.




After a 13 hour flight…Hello Tokyo! We had a 3 hour layover that was non-eventful except for some nice artwork and Kendall passing out on this couch.



As we boarded our next flight to Bangkok, I explained to Kendall the importance of staying awake because we would be landing at 11pm local time. If you fall asleep, you won’t be able to sleep during the night. You’ll notice in the pictures below that he did not heed my advice (luckily he also slept when we got there). The flight was a long 6 hours.

Landing in Bangkok was exciting! I prepped Kendall on how Ashley and I were stuck in the customs line forever last time, so we had a plan to rush off the plane and beat everyone to the line. We probably looked like madmen fast walking through the terminal on our way off the plane. We turned the corner to customs and there was absolutely no line… so we didn’t take but 5 minutes to get through customs. So much for my worry, but that was nice because we snagged our bag, went to the ATM, and caught a cab to the hotel.

Our hotel was maybe 10 min from the airport and I would highly recommend it for if you are trying to stay out near the BKK airport. It was called the Dwella. It was very clean, the beds were comfy, and a they had a nice staff. We were supposed to check out at 12pm but we may have over slept and woken up to a phone call from the front desk at about 11:50am. The front desk was really understanding and I told them we would be down shortly after we packed our things.




After thanking the desk upon check out we got a taxi to take us to the near by Skytrain station to head downtown.




If you don’t know Kendall this may not strike you as funny, but as soon as we got off the train there was a sunglass stand and he bought a pair not even 5 seconds into our time being in the city.




After that, we walked a couple blocks and took in all the sights, sounds, and smells. All the scents of food lead to us to the restaurant Salt and Pepper. It was located in the Center World Mall (larger than Mall of America and one of the 10 biggest in the world).




Salt and Pepper was a really nice restaurant! The menu was large with a great variety of food. We both started with a fruit smoothie that was fantastic. Then for food Kendall ordered a slab of pork ribs and I ordered a half chicken (so much for chilies being our last American cuisine).






After we ate, we decided to walk around some more and see what we would stumble upon. After taking a rather sketchy turn down an alley, the next street we came to had a tailor shop. We struck up a conversation with the owner outside and he noticed our youth and said he would cut us a deal (in my head I am thinking yeah right we aren’t getting a deal).

He told us his shop had been around for 25 years unlike many shops in the area that pop up and disappear within the year. I verified that by checking out all the photos he had on his back wall that were very old and were all taken in the shop we were standing in. I began to trust him a little more at this point.

He said “every young man should have a nice suit so I’ll sell you one for 5,500 baht each including the materials.” I was a little taken aback by that because that is still a lot of money when converted to American dollars. He assured me it was a great price because he usually sold them for 7,000+. He brought out his receipt book and started showing us all of his recent transactions for the month and also flipping to pages at random. He was selling them for about 8000-7000 baht each. This made me more comfortable with him.


He let us pick any fabric we wanted and he showed us the projects he was working on currently. They were well done and the craftsmanship was fantastic! His seams were flawless and he did all the work in house. We were still iffy on the price and were getting cold feet and he said, “Okay, I will take 500 baht off for you, but I cant do anything lower than that.”


So we thought hard and decided, lets do it! So we each got suits for 5,000 baht and he took all of our measurements and said to come back in 4-5 days to try it on so that he could make adjustments. We decided this would be a gift that we could keep and use forever.

After that, we stopped to order some Crepes!






The day ended with hoping on another flight to Phuket!


Here we are sneaking into the second row…




After a long day exploring and a short flight, we retrieved our bags and took a cab to our airbnb. We got to our place around midnight!!

Keep Checking back in for updates!!

One thought on “Taylor & Kendall take Thailand”

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: